Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Leaving footprints behind

As the rubber tires screeched to a stop, stepping out of the vehicle doesn't seem so easy anymore. Excitement and hesitance filled my being as I pushed open the car door. Everything will change from this point onwards, I was convinced. Inhaling a long and deep breath, I followed my female manager and chauffeur to the boot of the car. My chauffeur is a dark-skinned and strong man who is nearing his sixties. Whereas, my manager is pale-skinned, fragile and in her forties. Both had noticeable grey and white hair amidst their natural ebony hair. I blinked away the tears which were threatening to fall and managed the best smile I have ever put on my face. Though, I was sure that it was a bittersweet one. My manager then came forward and draped a scarf around my neck. Since she was close-up, I could see her watery and reddening eyes. I looked away as guilt stabbed straight at my heart like a dart which hits bulls-eye. My chauffeur on the other hand puts on a gloomy expression as he always does. I was starting to feel bad that we haven't had much of a conversation ever since I knew him. If only I had put in more efforts to communicate with him we could have had a more heartwarming departure. I began to miss the warmth of this place.

Finally, the numerous luggage were unloaded. The automatic doors slid open before me and what greeted me was a sight I'll never forget. The amber lights, the spacious place and the crowd just before my eyes - my friends. Never have I thought that I would behold such a sight. I was emotionally affected by their sincere efforts to send me off in the wee hours. Words couldn't express how I feel and I wasn't sure of what emotions I should display. I had wanted to run towards them however decided against it for it will only break this spell between all of us. Everyone shares the same feeling. No one wanted time to pass by quickly, just so that we can spend a few more minutes or even seconds together. I grinned at them and muttered a simple word of gratitude that is filled with utmost sincerity. Everyone whom I wanted to see was here. My best friends since academic years. My best friends,'mom' and 'dad' whom I've met through a co-curricular activity. Though this 'crowd' may seem few but to me, it's more than enough. We have all grown up together, did almost everything together and share the deepest of our secrets. True enough, I was starting to feel more reluctant to leave. However, I know that this route is necessary. This departure for me is absolutely needed for I will gain the courage and determination that will never waver under any circumstances.

Handwritten letters, memories filled picture book, local food or a list of email addresses and phone contacts, I embraced them with gratitude and treasured them. Their presence, however, was the one which impacted me the most and will definitely engrave a memorable scar on me. This part of my journey in life will always be with me. It had taught me numerous values and morals which if I ever forget, I'll be damned for that means I have forgotten my roots. Gladness slipped into every cells in my body that I have met these awesome people. I took a step backwards and bowed deeply for a good long seconds. I wasn't sure how to repay them now but in time, I will, by living to the best of me. Slowly turning behind, I gave the two elderly my deepest bow of respect as well. I owe them too much. So much so, that I can never repay them in this lifetime. I will forever remain indebted to them.

The flight was scheduled to fly on time and they were making the last call for passengers to board. It suddenly came to mind that I have yet to have a photo with them all. We quickly call for someone to assist us in the taking of pictures. My chauffeur and manager had intended to stay out of the picture however, I pulled them along for there was not much time. With a flash, everything I had wanted to accomplish here was done. I gave a hug to my cliques and eventually the both of them. I didn't want to linger longer for it would only make me sadder. I left in a hurry, turning head only one time as I crossed the boarding gate. I waved and quickly made my 'exit'.

All this was enough to fuel my passion further.


I feel that this is what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment